Tuesday 10 November 2009

Gestational Diabetes

28+4

I've had a phone call yesterday afternoon from the Diabetic Midwife. I had my Glucose Tolerance Test yesterday morning and it turns out my results are raised. I have to go this morning to the diabetic clinic at the hospital to see diabetic midwife, dietician and my consultant. They have also arranged a growth scan for this morning too.

I am completely in shock about it. I had no inkling that it would come back positive as I've had no glucose in my urine or anything. I have had 2 previous large babies but after having the gtt test with Ellie and that being negative I assumed I just naturally had larger babies. My bmi is high but I am just completely shocked by it.

The diabetic midwife sounds lovely though and everything will be explained to me today and I will have to do fingerprick test to test my blood sugars I presume everyday or even a few times a day, not sure yet.

I will be induced at 38 weeks and baby will have to have her blood sugars monitored. I am worried that she'll have to go to special care and I won't be able to be with her. Not sure if this will be the case or not.

I've been looking in the cupboard at what we have in. I have no idea what sort of things I can eat. I suppose that will all get sorted today and we'll have to go to Asda on the way back from the hospital.

I'll try and update again when I get back later and try and take it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment